Eggless Chocolate Sponge Cake
There is just something wickedly delicious about the smell of recently baked cake. It just tempts a person to have a bite. Most baking recipes call for loads of butter and eggs, especially sponge cake which has at the minimum 6 eggs as its basic ingredient.
My husband was recently diagnosed with high cholesterol and advised to watch his diet which included avoiding eggs and butter. consequently, my search started for a perfect cake recipe which did not need either eggs or butter. After a number of failed attempts I came across a recipe and few adjustments here and there and I had my perfect chocolate eggless sponge cake recipe. Here I’m going to proportion that recipe with you.
All purpose flour 1 cup or 100 grams
Cocoa powder 1/2 cup or 56 grams
Yogurt 1 cup or 250 ml (It must be at room temperature)
Caster sugar 3/4 cup or 165 grams
Baking soda 1/2 teaspoon
Baking powder 1 & 1/2 teaspoon
Cooking oil 1/2 cup or 125 ml
Vanilla essence 1 teaspoon complete
1. Pre-heat the oven at 200 degree C.
2. Grease 9 inch baking pan and line with butter paper and keep aside.
3. Beat the yogurt and caster sugar until the sugar is completely dissolved..
4. Add in the baking soda and baking powder and give a good stir. Now let it sit aside for 10-15 minutes.During this time sieve all-purpose flour and cocoa powder in a bowl and keep aside.
5. You will see bubbles appearing, at this point add cooking oil and vanilla essence. Now mix well.
6. Slowly add cocoa powder and all-purpose flour, in portions, to the liquid elements.Mix really well and make sure there are no lumps.
7. Pour this combination into the greased baking pan and put in the oven. Let it bake at 200 degree C for 10 minutes.
8. After 10 minutes lower down the temperature to 180 degree C and bake for another 20 minutes.
9. Bake the cake for 30 minutes, however before taking it out of the oven make sure that it is perfectly cooked by inserting a skewer into the middle of the cake. The skewer will come out clean.
10. To get a nice golden shine on your cake, either brush it with a Tbsp of milk or very little amount of egg 10 minutes before you have to take out the cake from the oven. (I used milk and it gave perfect golden shine)
11. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes before inverting it on a platter and taking out the butter paper.
12. You can decorate your cake with ready-made icing and enjoy it with tea or coffee.