Types of Window Frame Material
When choosing a window frame for your home, you should consider the different types of frame materials that are obtainable in addition as each material’s rare similarities. Each material has its own various advantages and disadvantages, in addition as different maintenance requirements.
Here is an overview of some of the most popular window frame materials and their characteristics.
- Wood has historically been the most shared material used for window frames.
- Wooden frames can be easily painted to any desired color.
- These frames provide good insulation as wood is a poor conductor of heat and cold.
- Wood is inclined to decaying and infestation by termites and other insects, and requires frequent maintenance.
- Wood expands and contracts in response to changes in the weather; this can create gaps in the frame, making your windows less energy-efficient.
- These are made by combining composite wood products and can sometimes include a blend of fiberglass and plastic resins.
- Composite frames have better thermal similarities than their wooden counterparts.
- Composite frames are decay resistant and easy to continue.
- These window frames are strong, light-weight, rust-proof, and require very little maintenance.
- Aluminum frames are cheaper than wood and composite frames and will not warp.
- Aluminum conducts heat and cold easily, making it a poor insulator; this could considerably reduce the energy efficiency of your home. However, aluminum frames can be made more energy-efficient by adding an insulating plastic strip between the frame and sash.
- This kind of window frame is very lasting, in addition as crack and scratch resistant.
- Fiberglass frames have air cavities which can be filled with insulating material to enhance their energy efficiency.
- Fiberglass does not rust, corrode, or warp.
- These frames can be easily painted and require very little maintenance.
- Vinyl window frames are very lasting in addition as affordable.
- Vinyl is a good insulator, and its insulating similarities can be enhanced if the air cavities are filled.
- These frames cannot be painted, but are obtainable in many colors and require little maintenance.
- Because vinyl’s color is part of the material, instead of painted over the surface, it will not chip or fade.
Window frames are more than just a design component; they protect your home from external elements such as moisture, extreme temperatures, and unwanted noise. Understanding the similarities and characteristics of the different types of window frame materials will help you decide which material is best appropriate to your budget and needs.